Below are my key takeaways from the AMC Networks Q2 2016 Earnings Call on Aug 4:
Josh Sapan, CEO, said “AMC Network’s strong start to the year continued into the second quarter.”
Revenue grew 13.9% in the quarter to $685MM, with Operating Income of $178MM and Net Income of $77MM. National Networks grew 17.2% to $573MM, and International was up 4.8% to $118MM.
AMC had 5 of the top 10 shows on cable this past season in adults 18-49 and adults 18-54. They also had 2 of the top 3 cable premieres (Into the Badlands was #1, Preacher was #3) in the key demo, which they claim they garnered about 1/3 of all scripted impressions in cable in adults 18-49.
AMC received 32 Emmy nominations, with Better Caul Saul being nominated in the Best Drama category, making it the 9th year in a row for AMC for the top prize. Started a 4th night of originals with The Night Manager, which received 12 Emmy nominations.
BBC America saw YoY growth in key demos. Received 4 Emmy nominations. Tatiana Maslany and Idris Elba each received an acting noms for Orphan Black and Luther respectively. It was announced that Orphan Black will finish after its 5th season.
WEtv’s Braxton Family Values will soon cross over 100 episodes.
Sundance TV announced that their first original series, Rectify, will be ending after the upcoming fourth season
Internationally, AMC is available in 130 countries
- Total Revenue: $685MM
- Q2 2015: $601MM
- Total Operating Income: $178MM
- Q2 2016: $159MM
- Total Net Income: $77MM
- Q2 2015: $83MM
- Basic EPS:$1.06
- Q2 2015: $1.15
- National Networks Revenue: $573MM
- Q2 2015: $489MM
- International and Other Revenue: $118MM
- Q2 2015: $113MM
List of Key Properties
- AMC is about to premiere the 2nd half of season two of Fear the Walking Dead, and then in the fall will prepare for the return of The Walking Dead and Preacher
- BBC America will launch new series in The Hunt (already premiered in July), Chris Harris on Cars and the Elijah Wood vehicle, Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency and will premiere the 5th and final season of Orphan Black
- Sundance will premiere a new show called Stan Against Evil later this year
Links to Company Website
Please comment below if there are data points from AMC Networks you’d like me to include in their next Earnings Call Summary.